About Blue Myst Media
Blue Myst Media is a production company that leverages the awesome power of writing, design, film, video, web series, branded content, and audio to tell stories across a variety of platforms. Clients engage Blue Myst Media to help them connect with their audiences, market, promote, publicize, tell, sell, inform, educate, explain, and often, entertain in vivid, memorable and effective ways.
Blue Myst Media also produces and distributes original dramatic, comedic and informational films, videos and web series.
John Fries, Founder
Blue Myst Media was founded by John Fries, a veteran writer, designer, filmmaker, and media producer-director whose extensive experience encompasses journalism, marketing, PR, advertising, education, entertainment, direct response, and more.
In 2003 he wrote and directed a dramatic film, Blue Myst Road, that told three stories based on Pittsburgh urban legends including Blue Myst Road in North Park. The film received significant media attention, favorable response at public screenings and was recognized by former Senator Jane Clare Orie in the Pennsylvania Senate for its use of North Hills, Pittsburgh locations and for casting local actors. The film also inspired the name of the fledgling production company.
John has an extensive background in communications and media. He has led the communications departments at several prominent organizations and worked on creative initiatives and campaigns for dozens of clients, from major corporations to small businesses and nonprofits.
An award-winning digital team leader and prolific writer and designer across all media, John has been building brands, engaging audiences, telling compelling stories, and delivering results for more than three decades.
- Writing and directing Blue Myst Road
- Creating several web series
- Producing an informational online video series for a prominent business author to accompany the launch of her new book
- Writing and directing a short film that launched a successful $18 million capital campaign for a major, faith-based nonprofit
- Establishing a branded online video channel and producing content for a rebranded professional arts organization
- Co-producing more than 100 installments of a weekly television talk show that continues to air in reruns
- Producing dozens of videos to help a Kansas City medical organization engage and communicate with its worldwide audience
- Creating several, widely viewed film-style teasers to help a Pittsburgh theater organization engage its audiences and promote ticket sales
- Writing, directing and packaging a number of featurettes
- Producing a film in which a Holocaust survivor tells her unique story
- Producing videos to help a major museum provide behind-the-scenes perspectives to its audience
- Hosting a cable television rock music video program and interviewing a number of then-A-list performers and bands including Cheap Trick, Heart, Kansas, Ted Nugent, The Clash, Santana, Steppenwolf, Greg Kihn, and others.
- Establishing RealMarketingTV, an online video program about innovative marketing
- Coaching a number of television guests prior to their appearances
- Executive producing an audio podcast hosted by a popular radio figure